Just pushed a huge update to alonetone

Just wanted to say we just pushed a very large update to the site which includes a complete rewrite of all the playlist javascript.

Translation: If you notice any playback issues, it’s not you, it’s probably new bugs! Please let us know.

I started this work in Dec 2020, so I’m excited it’s done. It clears out a bunch of tech debt and opens up some new opportunities to do some fancy things in the future…

2 Likes

OK well then THAT is what happened!

So users of XP SP3 with browsers as CURRENT as can be had can no longer use alonetone…

Many of my play buttons are now download buttons especially most current and those that actually play don’t play in the ‘alonetone’ page but switch to the default ‘black-blank page’ for playback like any other…

I guess I was lucky to have been able to upload my last tune as everything ‘went south’ shortly after…

Well, as long as others can use OK fine I guess I’ll leave it at that…

Now I’ll have to find another site that ‘hasn’t updated’ to start another account with…

If anybody has any ideas of where let me know…Thanx (Not soundclod!)

Hey there!

Everything should probably still be working for you — so you’ve probably run into a bug related to the refactoring.

Can you please report which broswer and which version you are using?

If you are using Chrome or FF perhaps you can open the js console and let me know if any errors show up there. I can walk you through that if you need a hand.

Now I’ll have to find another site that ‘hasn’t updated’ to start another account with…

In order stay online over the years, constantly updating is a requirement. This is the same for every web app to stay working with current browsers.

This is work we put in for free, because we want things to survive. I’m willing to look into your issue if you provide more detail!

1 Like

Thanks for reply of quick…Not complaining as this kind of thing happens alot past year & I have found that sometimes the only fix is to bolt out & go elsewhere…

I am using most updated browser you can use in XP & I do have 2 windows 10 machines but I would rather eat my own vomit than use windows 10 (these were given to me you see).

I have tried with SAME RESULTS-

-MyPal 29.3.0 (last made)
-K-Meleon Goanna Version (About window won’t open but is only a few months old)
-Serpent Browser 52.9.0 (August of 2021 build)

Serpent & MyPal are based on Pale Moon…

Great work on here by the way…Well, till the ‘update’ for me maybe others it is better but for any other XP users out there it’s gonna be a bummer…

Been looking about found that Audiomack & NoiseTrade which are all wrong for me I care NOT about monetization but I have to say those sites function with all 3 of these browsers…

Hopefully we can fix this though…tHANX!!!

OK add FireFox 52.0.1 last for XP as same as other three browsers…

Heya thanks a lot for your development! I’ve noticed a few significant bugs, where should I report them? In this thread or is there some more organized way for you? Happy to help test! Cheers!

@TalkOrBell That’s a bummer! It sounds like there an underlying issue with the latest HTML and/or web audio and with XP SP3 in general. I think @sudara can try to troubleshoot in a virtual machine to try and replicate it. However, you must understand, from a developer’s point of view, it is becoming more and more difficult to reproduce these issues as it’s become difficult to gain access to a working copy of XP.

From what I understand, this is a one man gig, with a few volunteers along the way, so they must focus on the big features and larger user base first. Thanks for all the hard work @sudara!

1 Like

Yes, I like it here but now I can’t use it. I wish the dialog could be more constructive rather than defensive as I have not ‘attacked’ anyone by my queries…

Once again don’t be defensive when I say that I have been numerous other music hosters with no issues…I even found my Soundclod account info & I haven’t signed in there for 6 years but it worked & everything works there in XP with any of the browsers I use…I don’t care for their adware or promo stuff & you don’t get the ‘plays’ like you used to but I don’t care about that as I just want a place to upload to so I can point others to it…

Yikes! You can report bugs here on the forum or over at GitHub if you happen to have an account there (that’s where we internally track issues). Thank you!

2 Likes

Ahh, I didn’t realize FF and Chrome both completely ended support for XP/Vista. That makes things a bit rockier for the long term…

Hang in there! Don’t worry, nobody feels defensive or attacked. We’re explaining how things work here to set expectations and give you some context on why it might take some time to figure out. Cross-platform bugs, as @alexmusic helpfully explained, can get pretty elaborate to iron out. With luck we can rope you into helping us confirm the solution works and you can help us make sure it always works on your platform!

In this case, I think I know what the issue is. I’ll ping this thread when an update is pushed and maybe you could help by testing it out. If that doesn’t work then I’ll have you check FF console to see if there are errors before we start booting VMs…

1 Like

@TalkOrBell I’ve set our browser support to explicitly support what it was supporting before the update — could you give things a whirl and see if it’s any better on your end?

I suspect it might not yet be happy on FF ESR . It ended up a bit hairier than anticipated. I know how to resolve, but it might take another try.

1 Like

Thanks for your efforts…However just checking NOW I see no changes as of yet…

As to Firefox I don’t use it nor have used it for sometime now as it is/was getting to be a resource hog…I’m sure it is no better now…

As to the problems, PLAY button is now a DOWNLOAD button…I can get into edit but UPLOAD A NEW VERSION OF THIS does not do anything…

Some tunes will play but in the generic ‘BLANK BLACK SCREEN’ method as if you had just opened an MP3 in another tab style…

Anything else I can do to provide any infos let me know…

It ended up getting pretty complicated over here!

I spent some good time on trying to resolve this, but the toolchain we’re using to ensure backwards compatibility with browsers was just “retired”, so I have to figure out if we’re going to move away from it or how to keep it working.

I have to do this anyway (regardless of backwards compatability) so I’m motivated to take another crack at it soon.

1 Like

@TalkOrBell

Now that some time passed, the toolchain stuff seemed to iron itself out…

We should be specifically supporting Firefox ESR now (the version you are on). Do you want to give it a try? I tried via browserstack but it seems to be having problems with self signed certs, so i can’t load the site properly.