How many of us get frustrated with ever changing technology?

Just wondering and (not to cause angst), maybe this applies more to older folks but I get easily frustrated that just when I feel I might be getting the gist of “things” those “things” change and I have to start all over again. I love music but the new recording keep changing so fast (to me anyway) that I tend to loose enjoyment. Too admit how bad I am at all this, I struggle just using something as simple as GarageBand. (It’s okay to laugh) but it’s true. Please jump in with you thoughts. acoustic57

Cool thread subject…

Well, I am an Old Fart at 61 years old & much has changed but I don’t let it change ‘me’…I see where things are being ‘directed’ & don’t like it…Virtually everything is being dumbed down and planned obsolescence seems built into every product…Music as it pertains today seems to largely be more like ‘robotic syncopated soundFX’ then anything else I guess because of all the ‘sub-genres’ that exist nowadays that never did when I grew up…
Since I avoid it I only get ‘touched’ by it when something happens…Like recently in that concert where the crowd got ‘5G Beamed’ & they trampled & some died…What was that guy’s name?..Travis Scott?..Tragic Scott?..People lining up to listen to that?
Yet so much available NOW all I had THEN was a record player, a wollensak reel-to-reel, a cheapo bass guitar & a transistor guitar amp for it that buzzed all the time yet I would develop ear by wearing out records…
All things considered I’d go back to that IN AN INSTANT compared to the nonsense of today…Things were SO MUCH BETTER then than now no matter what subject you wish to portray…
Even such there are SO MANY WAYS to learn music nowadays FOR FREE but many do not wanna ‘expand their knowledge’…Nope I want my DAW to have that feature or I’m waiting for a plugin to come along & make things great…

Just to ‘hog in’ here…When I was young one of my favorite catalogs was the ‘Heathkit’ catalog where you order your TV or Shortwave or whatever & solder & assemble all yourself…For the knowledge & satisfaction!..
They’d be out of business decades ago these days…Nobody wants to ‘waste time’ doing that now…
Back in 1990’s & early 2000’s was into OldTime Stick-tissue free flight planes & would fly those (mostly hand-launch gliders) at local park & many would walk over “HEY! That’s an amazing glider! Where do you buy those at?”…" Uhh, Well, you have to BUILD THEM as you cannot buy these anywhere…but…BUTT! I have plans, supplies & such I can SHOW YOU HOW!!"…Reply always the same…“Oh, bummer you can’t buy these? No, I don’t wanna build any…”…
Major bummer even then 25 years ago nobody wants to ‘craft’, very depressing then…but NOW?

I get more frustrated that the quality of technology gets worst and I have to deal with the same problems since decades. I make my music “DAWless” now. This is less frustrating. No driver issue’s, no plugins or software that stopped working after a update. Update while recording the causes a crash or …

Started on Windows NT making music and I see no change in usability and stability. Some companies put more money in copy protection and how to squish more money out of their customer than in their product itself. Features, marketing and money before quality.

Yes, I agree…An older, simpler DAW or Sequencer is gold nowadays but then you have OS that can’t run them that’s why I am still on XP…
A neighbor I do favors for (they have it as vacation home) has given me 2 laptops only 4-5 years old considered ‘old’ to them LOL!! But they got windows 10 which is worst of all & complete spyware OS as well…So they never see the ‘net’ I use for burning or watching tutorials offline…
And YES software gets worse as time goes on & plugins engineered to ‘look pretty’ which takes up resources & is ridiculous in audio environment…
So take Reason 2.5 or 3 you could have 60-80 tracks going no need to have a ‘bounce track’ function but several versions later they can’t get away from having one…
Old DAWs-Sequencers had tight code & amazing that they worked at all on systems that would barely boot up…Well you use a machine only 5 years newer & you have a racehorse on your hands…

Hello,
I’m 63 years old and along with my hardware instruments ( Keyboards and guitars) I use computers and softwares to play and record music since the late 80’ started in 1989 with a computer Atari 1040ST and Steinberg Pro 24 software and now using Windows10, Cakewalk Sonar X3 DAW, a Power full computer and 32 Gb of RAM memory. I never had problem to adapt myself with technology upgrades or progress and always enjoyed to use nicer and more intuitive interfaces and have pleasure to use most of my old plugins still working with Windows 10 and 64Bits system ( and Bit Bridge is here to help for old one that resist and can only work with 32Bits). So yes I understand that constent changing could be annoying sometime but we can find most of time a trick to help and when you see the quality of music ( not even speaking of progress in video management ) we can make at home and mostly the very shortest time now to process music production with speedy modern computers compare with 30 years ago sometime I wish I could be only 20 years old now and see even more progress again to help me play and compose music for the next 40 coming years :o). Patrick https://youtu.be/qpSeye1FP0I

Opinions vary & I respect that, however for music production one does not need a current setup & OS to make good music…I have heard much better music made in Rebirth, Schism Tracker, Impulse Tracker & others than alot of say what I hear out of Ableton Live 11 nowadays…it’s not whether one ‘has the latest’ but rather ‘if you know music’…
20 years ago there was much innovation in fact I still use SONAR2 & Project5 which sound just fine today…However BACK THEN computers were still grim so they could not make them sing…
Here’s a Project5 Example tune…I have no problem with the sound-

And I could do way better as well…

I think the problem that we are originally talking about is the planned obsolescence built into products-software-OSes which is fact…
Using windows 10 you are agreeing to spyware it’s in the EULA…Most say, “Well, I got super-ultra firewall nothing getting through that!”…Windows 10 don’t work that way as they know exactly what everybody does so your machine is being accessed WHEN-
-Booting up (Please wait while I throb, sucker!)
-Shutting down (Don’t shut down…updating…the SPYWARE, sucker!)
-When completely off (No HDD activity nor sounds will emanate, wonder why so much portables have non-removable batteries?)

4 years ago I had my blind granddaughter’s computer to look over she complained that nothing worked right…SURE ENOUGH! Windows 10 had been force installed OVER her Windows 7…And nothing but PROBLEMS ever since!!

But they also spread fear of older OS like if you just ‘click’ your broadband into an XP machine it will explode into a pile of viral flames!..LOL! I been running XP over 20 years now & RIGHT NOW & never a problem, ever…No need for system hackings or workarounds, none of that…

But XP not perfect as it does have backdoor the last OS with NO backdoor was windows 98 but you cannot use that in todays enviro on the net but offline of course…

For me I like making short tunes out of trackers & soft nobody has used & most will reject for the challenge & in some cases to prove some moronic individuals wrong when they say “That tracker is GARBAGE!”…That is when I may take a look at it & try it out…

As per THIS-

This was done in old ‘scene’ freeware tracker from 2001 that even most tracker types would not know of, or care & yes it has some pops-clicks that showed up ONLY during recording output but it is the only other tune I know of done in it other than the demo tune…

But to each their own I guess…Some other peeps doing nice stuff on old freeware trackers-
Protrekkr-

Schism Tracker-

SunVox-

Scream Tracker-

I get easily frustrated that just when I feel I might be getting the gist of “things” those “things” change and I have to start all over again.

As someone “good” with tech things, I can relate to this 100%. Building alonetone has required me to learn dozens of pieces of technology, most of which have now been replaced. It can be disheartening. However, I also learned new mental models / approaches with each one of those experiences, and I think they build on each other, make me better at making choices…

I try to keep things sane at the music level. I’ve been using Logic for 20+ years, since version 5.x. I know it very well and actually enjoy when they add things, as it’s always very solid and always improving.

I agree with @patroux on the big picture — the access to tools, the quality and complexity that’s achievable by anyone with a computer or iPad is amazing.

1 Like

Yes, as I get older I keep learning, but one of the reasons why I stopped producing music was the difficulty in ever-complicated programs, just took the pleasure out of making works. JJ PARKI