the alonetone forum

Does anyone still listen to CDs?

Hey Everyone, I just completed my RPM Challenge and it got me wondering, does anyone still listen to CDs or even have a use for them ? I got thinking about this as when I first started RPM that was one of the accepted formats (you could even submit a cassette back then). I believe I might have asked this a few years back on RPM’s own site. I’m betting there are some investing answers. Thanks !

Yep, hundreds of CDs here, and we’re still buying them.

I’m listening to one right now. I began listening to CDs again after having scorned them for years in favour of streaming services. I like the way they encourage me to listen more carefully. Sort of the way a typewriter makes me write more carefully or a film camera makes me take photos more thoughtfully.

2 Likes

I find I’m more likely to purchase a CD if it’s a band that I have other CDs from, or alternatively a band where the album art/packaging is particularly cool.

For instance, I generally purchase Ayreon (and Star One) albums as physical discs.

If I’m more interested in getting singles, or it’s a band I’m not as sold on, then I’ll do digital. Or, if I want the album really, really fast, I’ll do digital. (However, with Amazon, if you purchase a new CD, a lot of the time they’ll give you a digital copy while you’re waiting for it in the mail, so you get the best of both worlds.)

My 15 yr old truck died and i had to get something more current. The most striking differences in vehicle tech these days is the audio system (at least for me).
Cd’s are dead for me now. A USB stick jammed into the dash has replaced the discs.

To burn a cd-r now in the studio and share with friends/bands/artists has been replaced by dropbox

Casual listening is now a bluetooth speaker and my phone.

Obsolete are not only hundreds of cd’s but also 5 complete home-stereo systems

Its pretty crazy

Yeah - I still listen to CDs on occasion, but I find it’s a lot easier to rip them to digital and play them from a computer or music player. (Less overall wear on the disc that way as well.)

1 Like